A deceased beneficiary may have been due a Social Security payment at the time of death, this is because Social Security actually pays one month behind. So if you die in September, your family is due the benefit from August.
Amounts due a deceased beneficiary may be paid to a family member or a legal representative of the estate in the following order.
- The surviving spouse who was either living in the same household as the deceased at the time of death or who, for the month of death, was entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- Children who, for the month of death, were entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- Parents who, for the month of death, were entitled to a monthly benefit on the same record as the deceased;
- A surviving spouse not qualified under 1. above;
- Children not qualified under 2. above; ****
- Parents not qualified under 3. above; or
- The legal representative of the deceased person’s estate.
*** Note if you have more then one adult child and money is not going into an estate account each child will need to fill out their own form. The Social Security Administration will not release all the money to one child. This is a great safety net since a client’s sister tried to get all the money sent to her along with the IRS tax refund recently.
Carol A. Lawson, Esq., 28870 U.S. Hwy19 #300, Hodusa Towers, Clearwater, FL 33761, Phone: (727) 410-2705 email: firstname.lastname@example.org